Wild mushrooms can be extremely dangerous to consume because some species contain toxins that can cause serious illness or death. While many wild mushrooms are edible and safe to eat, it can be difficult to differentiate between poisonous and non-poisonous varieties. Some of the most dangerous wild mushrooms include the death cap (Amanita phalloides), the destroying angel (Amanita bisporigera), and the fool’s mushroom (Amanita verna).
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can range from mild symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, to more serious symptoms like liver and kidney failure, coma, and death. In some cases, the symptoms may not appear until several hours or even days after consumption, making it difficult to diagnose the cause of illness.
If you’re unsure about the edibility of a wild mushroom, it’s best to err on the side of caution and not eat it. If you suspect mushroom poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.